Now, Punjabi Cinema is not bounded only in the boundaries of comedy and marriages but they have stretched their area and explored in various new fields where they raised the level of pollywood and took it to new heights. The year started with Nav Bajwa’s Ishqaa and also ended with his movie Kitty Party which somewhere explained that he might be lucky for the industry , also his movie Ishqaa served with thrill and Kitty Party is about con girl which triggered others to serve something differently. Further in the year, movies like Uda Aida and Do Dooni Paanj talks about punjabi language and education system respectively. Yaara Ve served with different concept where more work on different kind of art direction was seen. Religion and Parenting are also taught this year by Ardaas Karaan movie. Chal Mera Putt had cast pakistani artist to deliver more talent in one frame and tried their best to connect two separated Punjab’s through cinema. Munda hi Chahida beautifully and simply delivered a social message . In this year, we have also seen women centric movies like Gudiyaan Patole, Ardab Mutiyaraan and Surkhi Bindi where women has taken the responsibility to take cinema to new heights on their shoulders. Moreover, Jhalley served with different subject that had also touched terrorism and partition issues somewhere.
A theatre is incomplete without it’s artist and talking about the pollywood artist who has contributed in the cinema are numerous we can’t penned down there names in one go but there are some names that must give a credit like Binnu Dhillon has served with two good movies named Kala Shah Kala and Jhalley, also two bad movies named Band Vaaje and Naukar Vahuti Da which clearly explains that it was a mixed year for him. Sargun Mehta has a Golden year as her all movies rocked the box office and hearts of the audiences too. Gurnam Bhullar the diamond star has hit the screen as this is his Debut year. Sonam Bajwa has build an different image that she can carry a whole movie single handedly on her shoulders. Parmish Verma stars looks weak this year as his movie Dil Diyan Gallan was a average movie and Singham was an expensive Spoof. Moreover, Amrinder Gill, Ammy Virk, Wamiqa Gabbi, Ninja, Tarsem Jassar,Tania, Roopi Gill, Raghvir Boli, Ravindr grewal, Diljit Dosanjh, Gippy Grewal, Neeru Bajwa, Simi Chahal, Ranjit Bawa, Sippy Gill, Dev Kharoud has contributed tons to the industry this year.
Now talking about the top 5 punjabi movies of 2019 according to DAAH Films that had served the industry immensely in all genres.
- Uda Aida: It is a 2019 Indian-Punjabi Drama-Comedy film written by Naresh Kathooria and directed by Ksshitij Chaudhary. Produced by Friday Russh Motion Pictures, Ksshitij Chaudhary Films, Naresh Kathooria Films; it stars Tarsem Jassar, Neeru Bajwa in lead roles with B.N. Sharma, Gurpreet Ghuggi and Karamjit Anmol in supporting roles. In the film a poor family has to cope with rich kids and their parents when their son is enrolled into a prestigious school. The movie has also promoted punjabi language and discussed about the education system of our society. This movie has also good writing skills, has beautiful climax and everyone comes out with a meaningful message from the theatre about education system.
- Blackia: Blackia is Drama based on the gold rush at Punjab’s international border during the 1970s, when many gold smuggling gangs were fighting to monopolise the business. An innocent college boy is drawn into this war for power, and takes control of the underworld but explains that how you can step into the wrong doing but there is no way back to normal life then. It stars Dev Kharoud and Ihana Dhillon, Ashish Duggal and Rana Jung Bahadur. This movie also entitled Dev Khroud with Angry man of the Pollywood. Movie had witnessed another level of action sequence in it too.
- Sikander 2: It is Drama genre movie which stars Kartar Cheema, Guri, Nikeet Dhillon and Sawan Rupowali. After leaving his dark past behind, Sikander (Kartar Cheema) starts afresh in a distant village. However, when the only son of the family gets mixed with the wrong crowd and finds his life in danger, Sikander is left with no choice but to return to his old ways in order to save the youngster. This movie had delivered the best direction in the year, beautiful cinematography and it’s lighting is also commendable. Even the message delivered that bad company always destroy your life was delivered and how student politics impacts our life in a positive and negative manner and how a gun or weapon could do bad to you and what are the repercussion of all these things.
- Surkhi Bindi : Surkhi Bindi is a 2019 Indian-Punjabi drama film written by Rupinder Inderjit and directed by Jagdeep Sidhu. The film was labelled by Shri Narotam Ji Films; it stars Sargun Mehta, Gurnam Bhullar, Rupinder Rupi and Nisha Bano. The movie was women centric that gives society a beautiful message that dreams are dreams it doesn’t matter which gender has seen it. Also. it delivers a message to every husband that how much important it is to support his wife. Even Gurnam Bhullar has proved his acting skills through this movie.
- Jhalle: Jhalle is an romantic comedy film written and directed by Amarjit Singh Saron. The film is produced under the banners Binnu Dhillon Production, Dreamiyata Entertainment and Manish Walia Production. It stars Binnu Dhillon and Sargun Mehta in lead roles. The movie is based on a different subject that has raised an important topic about the love of a mental person and also explained the loss one suffered on their mental health because of terrorism and partition issue. Even the producers has taken the risk for the treatment of movie in different aspect either it’s about their cinematography, lighting, comedy punches, etc.
Above cited are the top 5 punjabi movies but there are some movies that couldn’t escape from a mention as they must be acknowledged for their work namely Kala Shah Kala, Gudiyaan Patole, Chandigarh Amritsar Chandigarh, Ardaas Karaan, Laiye Je Yaarian, Rabb Da Radio 2, Ardab Mutiyaran, Amaanat, Chal Mera Putt.